Oregon is full of beautiful forests, lakes, waterfalls, and beaches.
Whether you’re taking a trip to the west coast or want to see if Portland lives up to the hipster hype while browsing Powell’s City of Books, Oregon is an excellent state to visit as an 18-year-old.
Keep reading for everything you need to know about renting a hotel room in Oregon in preparation for your adventure!
Hotels in Oregon with 18+ Check-In
2 Star Hotels:
- University Place Hotel and Conference Center
- The Portlander Inn and Marketplace
- Econo Lodge Portland Airport
3 Star Hotels:
- Hampton Inn Portland Airport
- Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport
- The Society Hotel
- The Mark Spencer Hotel
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Airport
- The Paramount Hotel Portland
- Ramada by Wyndham Portland
- Hyatt House Portland / Downtown
- Radisson Hotel Portland Airport
4 Star Hotels:
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Portland-Downtown Convention Center, an IHG Hotel
- Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center
- The Benson Portland, Curio Collection by Hilton
- AC Hotel by Marriott Portland Downtown, OR
- Hilton Portland Downtown
- Staypineapple, Hotel Rose, Downtown Portland
- The Hoxton, Portland
- The Hotel Zags Portland
5 Star Hotel:
- Home2 Suites By Hilton Salem
- Best Western Plus Mill Creek Inn
- Motel 6-Salem, OR - Expo Center
- Howard Johnson by Wyndham Salem
- DoubleTree by Hilton North Salem
- La Quinta by Wyndham Salem OR
- Knights Inn Salem
- Residence Inn Salem
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Eugene Downtown - University, an IHG Hotel
- Graduate Eugene
- Best Western New Oregon Motel
- Eugene Lodge and International Hostel
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Eugene East/Springfield
- Motel 6-Eugene, OR - South Springfield
- Hayward Inn
- Comfort Suites Eugene
- University Inn and Suites Eugene
- Value Inn Motel
- Candlewood Suites Eugene Springfield, an IHG Hotel
- Hampton Inn Eugene
- The Maverick Hotel
- La Quinta by Wyndham Eugene
How old do you have to be to rent a hotel room in Oregon?
The good news is you only have to be 18 to rent a hotel room in Oregon.
The bad news is that many hotels set their age requirements up to 21, and they’re not legally required to allow 18-year-olds to check-in.
Alternatives to Hotels for 18-Year-Olds
Here are some of the many other options when it comes to staying in Oregon as an 18-year-old.
Airbnb has an under-25 policy that is very friendly for 18-year-olds as long as you’re not staying anywhere locally.
While Airbnb probably isn’t going to save you money over a regular hotel stay, you will get to explore areas of Oregon and its cities where there aren’t hotels that would fit your needs and wants.
Youth hostels can be noisy and crowded, and you will have to share a room and bathroom with strangers, but for some people, that can be a draw!
Youth hostels are inexpensive, in great locations, and a great way to meet people. Some offer group meals and activities and are usually staffed by other young people who know their local scene.
Check out these answers to frequently asked questions about hotel check-in as an 18-year-old.
What form of I.D. do I need to check in to a hotel as an 18-year-old?
You will need a form of I.D. such as a driver’s license or state-issued I.D. to check in to a hotel as an 18-year-old. Other commonly accepted forms of identification are passports and military I.D.s.
Do I have to get a credit card to check in as an 18-year-old?
You will need to present a credit card upon check-in at a hotel. However, if you don’t have one, a debit card should work. Contact your hotel to see what you need before you get there.
Is it illegal for anyone under 21 to rent a hotel room in Oregon?
No. It is legal for 18-year-olds to rent hotel rooms in Oregon, but many hotels set their age requirements higher.
Why do some hotels in Oregon have an age requirement of 21?
It’s nothing personal. It’s just that statistically, more risks are involved with renting hotel rooms to people under 21. Hotels worry about the cost of damages, higher insurance premiums, and legal issues due to underage drinking.