When you turn 18, you might dream of traveling alone for the first time. But don’t let the stress of booking a hotel room get in the way.
Some hotels do not accept 18-year-olds, but several other fantastic alternatives offer a place to stay.
Hotels in Utah with 18+ Check-In
Salt Lake City
2 Star Hotels:
- Comfort Inn Downtown Salt Lake City
- Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Airport
- Motel 6-Salt Lake City, UT - West - Airport
- evo Hotel
- Motel 6-Salt Lake City, UT - Downtown
3 Star Hotels:
- Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Downtown / The Gateway
- Comfort Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport
- Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City-University/Foothill Drive
- Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport
- Sonesta Simply Suites Salt Lake City Airport
- Salt Lake Plaza Hotel SureStay Collection by Best Western
- Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites
- Residence Inn by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown
- The Kimball at Temple Square
4 Star Hotels:
- Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek
- Hilton Salt Lake City Center
- Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, an IHG Hotel
- Sheraton Salt Lake City
How Old Do You Have to be to Rent a Hotel Room in Utah?
You must be at least 18 years old to rent a hotel room in Utah. Every hotel in Utah has to follow this guideline because it is the law.
Some hotels choose to uphold stricter age requirements for renting a hotel room. Typically, these hotels change their age minimum to 21 years old.
Why do hotels enforce age restrictions to rent a hotel room?
The main reason hotels have 18+ check-in is because that is the national age minimum in the United States. If hotels allowed minors to book hotel rooms, they would be breaking the law.
Another reason is that purchasing hotel rooms is for protection against accidents, illegal activities, and room damage.
Alternatives to Hotels for 18-Year-Olds
Consider one of these options instead of a hotel if you are searching for somewhere to stay in Utah.
There are many youth hostel options throughout Utah. This is an optimal option when traveling because they are relatively cheap.
You will probably share your bedroom with others because hostels center community living. Maybe you will make a few new friends!
Most Airbnbs accept 18-year-olds. If you are unsure, reach out to the host before booking.
Airbnbs have many rooming options compared to the standard hotel room. Since you rent through a person rather than a company, it is often easier to reach out and request certain accommodations.
Below are some frequent inquiries about booking hotel rooms at 18 years old.
Will I need an I.D. to check in as an 18-year-old?
Always bring your I.D. to check into your hotel room, no matter your age. Hotel attendants use your I.D. to verify your information to give you the room.
Will I need a credit card to check in as an 18-year-old?
You will need to bring the method of payment you used to purchase your hotel room to check-in.
Most hotels accept only credit or debit cards.
Can 18-year-olds check in to hotels in Utah?
Yes, 18-year-olds can check into many hotels in Utah. If you are unsure if a hotel accepts 18-year-olds as guests, always check their website or call.
Why do some hotels in Utah have age requirements higher than 18?
Some hotels in Utah opt for a 21-year-old age requirement because it offers extra protection for liabilities like room damages, billing issues, and underage activities.