California is home to several big cities and popular tourist attractions. Whether you’re a visitor from across the country or a CA resident seeking a place to stay, finding a hotel here should be easy. But what if you’re under 21?
Fortunately, there are several great California hotels with 18+ check-ins. So no matter where you are in the Golden State, you’ll likely have a few options to pick from.
Hotels in California with 18+ Check-In
1. Los Angeles
- Best Western Plus Commerce Hotel
- Hyatt Regency Los Angeles International Airport
- The Adler a Hollywood Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles LAX Airport, an IHG Hotel
- Hollywood Historic Hotel
- Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles LAX / Century Boulevard
- La Quinta by Wyndham LAX
- The Metric - Los Angeles Downtown
- Holiday Inn Los Angeles - LAX Airport, an IHG Hotel
- Hollywood Inn Suites Hotel
- Park Plaza Lodge
- AIR Venice on the Beach
- Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
- Hotel Normandie - Los Angeles
- Sonder at FOUND Santa Monica
- Comfort Inn & Suites Near Universal - North Hollywood – Burbank
- Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
- Residence Inn by Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
- Hotel Aventura
- Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey
- Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle
- Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel
- Kings Inn
- Days Inn by Wyndham San Diego Hotel Circle
- Best Western Plus Bayside Inn
- Staypineapple, Hotel Z, Gaslamp San Diego
- San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
- Comfort Inn Gaslamp Convention Center
- Hampton Inn San Diego Mission Valley
- Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego La Jolla
- Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
- Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
- Handlery Hotel San Diego
- El Cordova
- Courtyard San Diego Central
- Homewood Suites By Hilton San Diego Central
- Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
- Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport-Liberty Station
- San Diego Marriott La Jolla
- Four Points by Sheraton San Diego
- Sonder The Bungalows
- Hyatt Place San Jose Airport
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Jose North/Silicon Valley
- Hyatt Place San Jose, Downtown
- Hampton Inn San Jose Cherry Ave, CA
- Arena Hotel
- La Quinta by Wyndham San Jose Airport
- Wyndham Garden Silicon Valley
- Aloft Santa Clara - San Jose North
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Jose Airport
- Residence Inn by Marriott San Jose North/Silicon Valley
- SureStayPlus Hotel by Best Western San Jose Central City
- Hyatt House San Jose Airport
- Homewood Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport-Silicon Valley
- Hyatt House San Jose-Silicon Valley
- Hotel Clariana
- Residence Inn San Jose South
- Studios Inn
4. San Francisco
- Handlery Union Square Hotel
- Cow Hollow Inn and Suites
- Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
- Hotel 32One
- Infinity Hotel SF, Ascend Hotel Collection
- Hampton Inn San Francisco Downtown/Convention Center
- Comfort Inn By the Bay Hotel San Francisco
- King George
- The Pickwick Hotel San Francisco
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fisherman's Wharf, an IHG Hotel
- Palihotel San Francisco
- Kensington Park Hotel
- Club Wyndham Canterbury
- Hotel Abri Union Square
- Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Union Square
- Queen Anne
- Washington Square Inn
- Buena Vista Motor Inn
- HTL 587, Ascend Hotel Collection
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, an IHG Hotel
- Super 8 by Wyndham
- Quality Inn
- Motel 6
- Americas Best Value Inn
- Doubletree By Hilton
- The Courtyard By Marriott
- Residence Inn
- University Inn
- Haven Inn of Chico
How Old Do You Have To Be to Rent a Hotel Room in California?
To rent a hotel room in California, you must be at least 18 years old. This age limit allows the hotels to hold guests accountable for any potential damage or theft.
However, hotels that accept 18-year-olds are somewhat uncommon. Most hotel contracts require you to be 21 or older to check-in.
Alternatives to Hotels for 18-Year-Olds
If any of these hotels don’t work for you, don’t worry—there are plenty of good alternatives to hotels for 18-year-olds.
Youth hostels are popular places for travelers under 21 looking for somewhere to stay. The age requirements at these overnight rooms may vary, but all of them will allow 18-year-olds to check-in. They are typically cheaper than hotels, so they can save you a little bit of money, too.
Another great alternative to hotels is Airbnb. This service connects you with people who rent their places out to guests. Like youth hostels, Airbnbs are generally cheaper than hotels, though they don’t have as many amenities.
In some cases, a campervan can make a suitable hotel alternative. The cost of renting one will vary, but they are typically cheaper than a hotel. Campervans are ideal for people looking to stay on the move while in California.
If there are any questions I haven’t answered, keep reading—your answer might be here.
Do I need to bring my ID when checking into hotels as an 18-year-old?
Yes, all hotels will require an ID when you check in to ensure you are at least 18 years old. Valid forms of ID include:
- State ID
- Driver’s license
- Student ID
- Military ID
Always make sure your ID is up to date when checking into a hotel.
Do I need a credit card to check into a hotel as an 18-year-old?
Yes, most hotels will require that you pay with a credit card when you check into a hotel. Using a credit card allows the hotel to charge you in case there is any theft or damage to your room.
Is it legal for 18-year-olds to check into hotels in California?
Yes, it is entirely legal to rent a hotel in California at the age of 18. No state or federal laws indicate you must be 21 to check in to a hotel.
Why do most hotels in California require you to be 21 to check-in?
The reason so many hotels require you to be 21 is that they often offer alcohol in their minibars. If these hotels allow anyone under 21 to check in alone, they may receive a fine for providing alcohol to minors.