While not all hotels in New York accommodate guests who are 18 years old, there are some that do. Below is a list of hotels in New York that allow 18-year-olds to check-in.
Hotels in New York with 18+ Check-In
2. New York City
3 Star Hotels:
- Pod 39
- Holiday Inn Express - Times Square, an IHG Hotel
- Pod 51
- Leo House
- Holiday Inn Express New York City Chelsea, an IHG Hotel
- The Hotel at Fifth Avenue
- Hilton Club The Quin New York
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott New York Manhattan/Times Square
- Lex Hotel NYC
- U Hotel Fifth Avenue I Empire State Building
- East Village Hotel
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
- The Historic Blue Moon Hotel - NYC
4 Star Hotels:
- Pod Times Square
- Hotel Edison Times Square
- The Cloud One New York-Downtown, by the Motel One Group
- World Center Hotel
- Moxy NYC Chelsea
- NobleDEN Hotel
- Millennium Downtown New York
- MOXY NYC Times Square
- Hampton Inn Manhattan-35th St Empire State Bldg
- Club Quarters Hotel World Trade Center, New York
- citizenM New York Times Square
- Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza
- NH Collection New York Madison Avenue
- Margaritaville Resort Times Square
- Ink 48 Hotel
- EVEN Hotels New York - Midtown East, an IHG Hotel
- Sonder at One Platt
5 Star Hotels:
- Hard Rock Hotel New York
- ModernHaus SoHo
- Kimpton Hotel Eventi, an IHG Hotel
- New York Marriott Marquis
- The Wall Street Hotel New York City
- JW Marriott Essex House New York
- Lotte New York Palace
- Casa Cipriani New York
2 Star Hotels:
How old do you have to rent a hotel room in New York?
Guests must be at least 18 years old to rent a hotel room in New York. It's important to note that some hotels may require guests to be at least 21 years of age to book a room. You can find the list of 18+ hotels in New York above.
Not all New York hotels are transparent with their rules. Read below to find the answers to some frequently asked questions guests have.
Will I need an I.D. to check in as an 18-year-old?
Yes, you will need an I.D. to check into a hotel as an 18-year-old. New York law states that all hotel guests must be at least 18, and front-desk clerks will verify this information upon check-in.
Will I need a credit card to check in as an 18-year-old?
On top of photo identification, all guests must provide a valid credit card when checking into a hotel room in New York. Some hotels also accept debit cards.
Is it legal for an 18-year-old to check into a hotel in New York?
Yes, it is legal for an 18-year-old to check into a room in New York. While state law only requires 18 years of age, some hotels maintain a 21+ policy.
Why do some hotels in New York have an age requirement of 21?
Certain hotels in New York require guests to be 21+ due to increased insurance costs and underage drinking liabilities. Hotels are responsible for illegal drinking activity on their property.
Alternatives to Hotels for 18-Year-Olds
While hotels are a terrific option for those looking at a night out in the Big Apple, they can be expensive. Below, I have laid out some alternative options 18-year-olds can utilize for an overnight stay.
Youth hostels are a popular rooming option for digital nomads and hikers. These shared rooms offer compact bedding space in exchange for a lower price and roommates.
While not the most luxurious option on the market, youth hostels are a great way to save money and meet new people.
If you are not planning on staying in a hotel room extensively, a youth hostel with a bed is similar.
Another alternative (and cheaper) option compared to hotels is an Airbnb room. People who leave town or own extra property have to pay for it whether they are there.
While the usual owners are not there, many of these people choose to rent out their homes to young people like you. This creates a cheaper stay for people going out while the homeowner gets to make some extra money.
An actual win-win situation.
Last but not least, you could stay in a campervan. While R.V.s are relatively expensive and difficult to obtain, they are a great option if you or someone you know already own one.
All you have to do to utilize a campervan overnight is move it to a lot with parking and pay for the gas to get there. Besides that, you have free access to your room with lots of privacy.