When you turn 18 years old in the United States, you essentially get labeled as an adult. However, you may notice that you still don’t have access to certain activities, including renting a car or checking into a long list of hotels.
While your options might seem rather scarce, you still have a few alternatives. Let’s take a look at hotels in Georgia that have an 18+ check-in and answer some questions you might have.
Hotels in Georgia with 18+ Check-In
- Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center
- Hyatt Regency Atlanta
- Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
- Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta-Galleria
- Atlanta Marriott Marquis
- Residence Inn Atlanta Perimeter Center Dunwoody
- Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport South
- Doubletree Suites by Hilton at The Battery Atlanta
- Glenn Hotel, Autograph Collection
- Element Atlanta Buckhead
- Atlanta Marriott Northeast/Emory Area
- Waldorf Astoria Atlanta Buckhead
- AC Hotel by Marriott Atlanta Airport Gateway
- Courtyard by Marriott Perimeter Center
- Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
- JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
- Renaissance Atlanta Airport Gateway Hotel
- Loews Atlanta Hotel
- Rodeway Inn
- Motel 6 Atlanta Downtown
- Hampton Inn Columbus/South-Fort Benning
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus at Northlake
- Microtel Inn & Suites
- Best Western Plus Columbus Ft. Benning
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Columbus
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus
- Hyatt Place Columbus-North
- Clarion Pointe Columbus-Bradley Park
- SpringHill Suites
- Candlewood Suites Columbus - Northeast
- TownePlace Suites
- Comfort Suites Columbus State University Area
- Baymont by Wyndham Columbus
- Motel 6 in Downtown Columbus
- Econo Lodge Inn & Suites at Fort Benning
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Augusta-Washington Rd
- Home2Suites by Hilton Augusta
- Hyatt Place Augusta
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Grovetown Augusta Area
- Holiday Inn Augusta West I-20, an IHG Hotel
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Augusta Fort Gordon Area
- Courtyard by Marriott Augusta
- Baymont By Wyndham Augusta Riverwatch
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Augusta Gordon Highway
- Extended Stay America Premier Suites
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Augusta West, an IHG Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Augusta
- Sheraton Augusta Hotel
- Red Roof Inn & Suites Augusta West
- Quality Inn at Fort Gordon
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Macon
- Tru By Hilton Macon North, Ga
- 1842 Inn
- Holiday Inn Express - Macon North, an IHG Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Macon-West
- Holiday Inn Macon North
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Macon West
- Comfort Inn & Suites Macon West
- Wingate by Wyndham Macon
- Hampton Inn Macon
- Avid hotels - Macon North
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Macon Mercer University
- Hampton Inn & Suites
- Mansion On Forsyth Park
- The Bluff Savannah Historic Tapestry Collection by Hilton
- Embassy Suites Savannah Historic District
- Olde Harbour Inn, Historic Inns of Savannah Collection
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Savannah Airport
- JW Marriott Savannah Plant Riverside District
- Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Airport
- Holiday Inn & Suites - Savannah Airport - Pooler, an IHG Hotel
- Thompson Savannah
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Savannah Airport
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Savannah Midtown
- Wingate by Wyndham Savannah Pooler
- Baymont By Wyndham Pooler/Savannah
- Azalea Inn & Villas
- Baymont By Wyndham Savannah/Garden City
How Old Do You Have To Be To Rent a Hotel in Georgia?
Georgia is one of the states that does allow 18-year-olds to check into hotels with a valid ID.
However, hotels in Georgia have the freedom to change their specific hotel’s minimum check-in age to 21 if they want to. Due to this, you should always check the check-in age on the hotel’s website or call and ask before booking.
Alternatives to Hotels for 18-Year-Olds
If you’d rather stay away from hotels altogether, these options are also available.
Airbnb allows people to rent their homes or apartments to you while you travel. Within their terms of service, you’ll find that you need to be at least 18 years old to post a home and to stay in one. You can find great prices and beautiful places on this site.
Universities and colleges sometimes offer dorm room rentals when there aren’t any classes in session. Since college students are typically 18 and older, you’ll qualify to rent. You’re more likely to find dorm rentals in the summer when the school year is over.
Campgrounds will rent out campsites to 18-year-olds. You’ll just need to bring some tents, sleeping bags, pillows, and food if you don’t want to go to restaurants. Campgrounds typically have bathrooms equipped with showers as well.
Here are some frequently asked questions you might have when it comes to traveling to hotels as an 18-year-old.
Will I need I.D. to check in as an 18 year old?
Hotels typically ask for the I.D. of the person who rented the room to ensure the name, address, and picture match the reservation. Allowing hotels to look at your I.D. helps to prevent identity theft and verify that you are the minimum check-in age.
Will I need a credit card to check in as an 18-year-old?
More often than not, you will need a credit card to check-in. Hotels typically hold your card number in case you charge something to the room like room service, or damage something within the room. However, they may allow you to use a debit card instead of a credit card.
You can get a credit card at 18 without a cosigner if you are financially stable. If you are 21 and older, you don’t need a cosigner.
Is it legal for an 18-year-old to check into a hotel in Georgia?
Yes, it is legal. However, hotels have their own minimum age requirements, so they may not allow you to check in if you are not 21 and older.
Why do some hotels in Georgia have an age requirement of 21?
Some hotels require you to be 21 to check in because this protects the hotel from underage drinking issues, and hotels trust that you are more responsible in general.