Finding a hotel that will allow you to check in as an 18-year-old can be tricky, so you’ll want to be prepared ahead of time.
This guide will give you the information you need as an 18-year-old looking for a hotel in North Carolina.
Hotels in North Carolina with 18+ Check-In
3 Star Hotels:
- Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte Northlake
- Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte Arrowood
- UNC Charlotte Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
- Drury Inn & Suites Charlotte University Place
- Hyatt Place Charlotte Airport/Lake Pointe
- Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Waverly
- Courtyard Charlotte SouthPark
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Charlotte Uptown
4 Star Hotel:
5 Star Hotel:
2 Star Hotels:
- Drury Inn & Suites Greensboro
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson
- Studio 6-Greensboro
- Sleep Inn - Coliseum Area
- Wyndham Garden Greensboro
- Hampton Inn & Suites Greensboro/Coliseum Area
- Bravo Inn Greensboro
- Motel 6-Greensboro, NC - I-40
- La Quinta by Wyndham Greensboro Airport High Point
- Super 8 by Wyndham Greensboro
- Comfort Suites Hanes Mall
- Sleep Inn Hanes Mall
- Kimpton Cardinal Hotel, an IHG Hotel
- Hotel Indigo - Winston-Salem Downtown, an IHG Hotel
- Deluxe Inn - Fayetteville I-95
- Motel 6-Fayetteville, NC - Fort Bragg Area
- Travelodge by Wyndham Fayetteville
- Studio 6-Fayetteville, NC - Fort Bragg Area
How Old Do You Have to Be To Rent a Hotel Room in North Carolina?
You only have to be 18 years old to rent a hotel room in North Carolina.
However, check the hotel’s policy before booking a room, as hotels are allowed to set their own policies and often have a minimum check-in age of 21.
Alternatives to Hotels for 18-Year-Olds
If you can’t find a standard hotel that works for you, luckily, there are a couple of other options.
Airbnb is an excellent choice if you are looking for a room in a specific part of North Carolina or desire a taste of the “real” North Carolina that you won’t get with a standard hotel room.
Airbnb rentals provide a unique, character-filled, off-the-beaten-path experience.
Airbnb hosts get to set their age requirement policies. You should always check, but most hosts allow guests 18+ to check-in.
Youth hostels are another excellent option for finding a place to stay as an 18-year-old.
Hostels often cater to younger people and are usually located right in the action, such as downtown areas and near popular attractions.
The upside is that hostels are cheaper than hotels, and you will likely meet other people from all over the world. Some hostels even schedule group activities and group meals in their kitchen.
The downside is that hostel rooms are usually dorm-style, with shared bathrooms. If you are staying in a hostel, there is typically a locker or locked drawer to keep your items during your stay.
Some hostels do have private rooms available for a higher rate. You’ll have a little more privacy and usually still spend a little less than you would for a standard hotel room.
Will I need I.D. to check in as an 18-year-old?
You will need to present your I.D. to check in to any hotel. Reach out to the hotel if you have any questions about acceptable forms of identification.
Will I need a credit card to check in?
Most hotels require you to present a credit card at check-in even if you have already paid for the room online. They want to ensure payment for any charges you incur, from room service to damage.
Is it legal for an 18-year-old to check in to a hotel in North Carolina?
It is absolutely legal for an 18-year-old to check in to a hotel if the hotel policy says it’s okay.
Why do some hotels in North Carolina have an age requirement of 21?
Some hotels have a higher age requirement because of insurance rates or legal liability issues of underage drinking or irresponsible behavior usually associated with younger guests.