Whatever the reason you’re staying in Texas, going to a family BBQ, exploring hiking trails at the Big Bend, or just enjoying the live shows in Austin, you’ll need a place to stay.
Even though you’re technically an adult, many hotels won’t let you check in until you’re 21.
Keep reading this guide for everything you need to know as an 18-year-old looking for a hotel in Texas.
Hotels in Texas with 18+ Check-In
- Sleep Inn & Suites Near Westchase
- Hampton Inn and Suites Houston Central
- Club Quarters Hotel In Houston
- Best Western Plus Heritage Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston-Downtown Convention Center
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Houston Downtown/Convention Center
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston-Energy Corridor
- Extended Stay America Suites
- Sonder The Hogg Palace
- Hilton Americas
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Houston NW
- Hilton Garden Inn Houston Medical Center
- La Quinta by Wyndham Houston Channelview
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Houston Medical Center
- Courtyard Houston-West University
- Quality Inn & Suites West Chase
- Candlewood Suites - Houston - Pasadena, an IHG Hotel
2. San Antonio
- Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
- Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk
- Canopy By Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk
- La Quinta By Wyndham San Antonio Airport
- Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North Stone Oak
- La Quinta By Wyndham San Antonio Northwest
- Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Airport
- Home2 Suites By Hilton San Antonio Airport, TX
- Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio North Stone Oak
- DoubleTree By Hilton San Antonio Downtown
- Comfort Suites Medical Center Near Six Flags
- Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera
- Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Northwest Medical Center
- Pear Tree Inn San Antonio Airport
- Embassy Suites By Hilton San Antonio Landmark
- Holiday Inn Express - San Antonio Airport, an IHG Hotel
- Hyatt Place San Antonio North Stone Oak
- Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Northeast
- Tru By Hilton San Antonio Lackland Sea World
- Hampton Inn & Suites San Antonio Northwest/ Medical Center
- La Quinta By Wyndham San Antonio Rittiman Road
- Hyatt Regency DFW International Airport
- Hyatt Regency Dallas
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas-Love Field
- Homewood Suites Dallas Downtown
- Home2 Suites By Hilton Dallas North Park
- La Quinta by Wyndham Dallas Love Field
- The Westin Dallas Park Central
- La Quinta by Wyndham Dallas North Central
- Embassy Suites Dallas - Park Central Area
- AC Hotel By Marriott Dallas By The Galleria
- DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Dallas Campbell Centre
- Aloft Dallas Downtown
- Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dallas/Fairpark
- DoubleTree By Hilton Dallas Market Center
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Dallas West/I-30
- Residence Inn By Marriott Dallas By The Galleria
- Residence Inn by Marriott Dallas Downtown
- Kimpton - Pittman Hotel, an IHG Hotel
- Hampton Inn & Suites Dallas Market Center
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Dallas Love Field
- Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek
- Residence Inn by Marriott Dallas at The Canyon
- Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
- Fairmount Austin
- Hyatt House Austin/Downtown
- Hyatt Place Austin Airport
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin Central
- Hilton Austin
- La Quinta by Wyndham Austin at The Domain
- Hyatt House Austin Arboretum
- La Quinta by Wyndham Austin Airport
- Comfort Suites Austin Airport
- East Austin Hotel
- TownePlace Suites Austin South
- Courtyard Austin South
- Super 8 by Wyndham Austin Downtown/Capitol Area
- Sonder Bouldin Creek
- Sonder at The Catherine
- La Quinta Inn by Wyndham Austin Capitol / Downtown
5. Fort Worth
- Hyatt Place Fort Worth Stockyard
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fort Worth Historic Stockyards
- Kimpton- Harper Hotel, An IHG Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Fort Worth Medical Center
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Fort Worth Fossil Creek
- The Worthington Renaissance Fort Worth Hotel
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Worth West at Cityview
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Worth- Fossil Creek, an IHG Hotel
- SpringHill Suites Dallas DFW Airport South/CentrePort
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Worth Medical Center
- Hyatt Place Fort Worth/TCU
- Motel 6- Fort Worth, Texas, Fort Worth Saginaw
- Holiday Inn Express Lake Fort Worth NW Loop 820, An IHG Hotel
- Motel 6- Fort Worth, Tx- Downtown East
- Motel 6- Fort Worth, Tx- Seminary
- Red Roof Inn PLUS+ El Paso East
- Palace Inn El Paso
- The Hotel at Sunland Park Casino El Paso
- Hampton Inn And Suites El Paso/East
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites El Paso East
- Aloft El Paso Downtown
- Courtyard by Marriott El Paso East/I-10
- Hampton Inn And Suites El Paso/West
- Red Roof Inn El Paso West
- Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott El Paso
- Quality Inn And Suites El Paso 1-10
- Motel 6-El Paso, TX – Airport – Fort Bliss
- Motel 6-El Paso, TX – Southeast
- La Quinta by Wyndham Arlington North 6 Flags Dr
- Howard Johnson by Wyndham Arlington Ballpark
- Live! By Loews – Arlington, TX
- Holiday Inn Express Arlington Interstate 20 Parks Mall, An IHG Hotel
- La Quinta by Wyndham Dallas Arlington South
- Hyatt Place Dallas/North Arlington/Grand Prairie
- Red Roof Inn Arlington - Entertainment District
- Best Western Plus Arlington North
- Hyatt Place-Dallas/Arlington
- Holiday Inn Arlington Northeast, an IHG Hotel
- Studio 6 Dallas – South Arlington
- Courtyard by Marriott Dallas Arlington South
- Hilton Garden Inn Dallas Arlington
- Residence Inn Arlington
- Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington South
How Old Do You Have To Be To Rent a Hotel Room in Texas?
Legally you have to be 18 years old to rent a hotel room in Texas.
However, hotels are allowed to set their own age restriction policies, and many won’t rent a room to you until you’re 21.
Alternatives to Hotels for 18-Year-Olds
If you can’t find a standard hotel for you, there are a couple of other options.
Airbnb is a wonderful alternative to a hotel. First, rather than staying at the standard hotel and having a cookie-cutter tourist experience, you get to stay in a quieter, residential area and take in the real city.
Airbnbs are more private than a hotel. For example, if the property has a pool or hot tub for use, you don’t have to share it with a bunch of strangers.
Hosts are allowed to set their own age requirements, and most of them allow 18-year-olds to rent.
Youth hostels are an excellent choice for a place to stay as an 18-year-old, especially if you’re a little short on cash.
Hostels tend to be much cheaper than hotels. They usually have kitchens, so you can save money by purchasing groceries and preparing your own food. Many of them also offer group activities or group meals, if you’re feeling lonely or want to make new friends.
If you’re thinking about booking a hostel though, know that while some of them do offer private rooms, most of the rooms are dorm style, which means you’ll be sleeping in a bunk bed, using shared bathrooms, and having to store your items in a locker.
Will I need I.D. to check in as an 18-year-old?
Yes! You’ll pretty much need to show I.D. to check into a hotel, no matter how old you are.
Will I need a credit card to check in as an 18-year-old?
Again, yes! Hotels usually want a credit card on file to cover any charges to your room.
Is it legal for an 18-year-old to check in to a hotel in Texas?
It is totally legal for an 18-year-old to check into a hotel! However, it’s also legal for hotels to set and enforce their own age restrictions. Always check with a hotel before booking if you’re not sure of their age policies.
Why do some hotels in Texas have an age requirement of 21?
Unfortunately, many hotels don’t trust 18-year-olds to be as responsible as older guests. Sometimes the age requirement is to limit noise disturbances, rowdy behavior, or underage drinking.